Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lazy Holiday Mini Book

This year we had a really lazy holiday on a narrow boat.  Just before we left for the holiday my copy of scrap365 arrived and I packed it to read while away.  One of the articles was how to make a mini book using just one sheet of 12x12.  I decided to use this idea but to add an additional shape to each page as inspired by a previous issue of the magazine.  I knew that I would not be able to add many embellishments as they would make the book to thick.  Instead I took photos of all things canal related and cut them out to decorate my pages with.

My cut out shapes were inspired by shapes painted on the doors of boats which we passed.
The cover is a photo of the boat name as painted on the side and a the canal we travelled on which came form a photo of a sign.  I Then mounted the layout of the boat (form our information pack) onto card as it over hung the top of the book.
I kept the centre background the same colour through out but used different techniques (stamping, crackle paint, doodling and ink) to decorate each page.
 I stencilled the day on each page.
 I used lots of tags for journalling which I took form a diary I had kept through the week.  This also gave me more space for photos.

These two swans when cut out made the perfect ending to the book.

Playtime Minibook

Last month I took a friends children to the park for a couple of hours.  I couldn't resist taking my camera and making this little book as a present for them.
I had had this little book sitting on my self for ages and it was perfect, especially as one of the girls turned up wearing almost exactly the same shade of pink.

The photo is actually a tag which is slotted in and viewed through a cut out aperture.


I painted the back of tags and left them blank (with a heading prompt) for Mum and the girls to write their own memories of the day.

I kept to approximately the same format for each page.  I tore a relevant word out of an old dictionary, coloured it using my chalk pastels and then slipped it under the photo on top of ribbon or lace and added a small embellishment.

 When looking through my photos I just couldn't decided which photos to use and so printed up more photos than I had pages.  This meant that I had a couple of fold out flaps as well as tags.


 I kept the flaps in place with these little fasteners.  I painted a cardboard circle, embossed it with UTE and then attached the fastener using a brad.
I used the dictionary quote to make a tab for this tag.

 More journalling space...
 ..and extra photo on the other side.
 

 More fold out photos.
 My next tag came form the top of the photo so I made an arrow out of the word 'pull'


The book was originally stapled through the centre but fell apart half way through adding papers and photos.  I punched holes through the centre, added paper washers cut using my cuttle bug and my spellbinders nestibilities dies, and threaded ribbon through the papers to hold them together.