Saturday, January 31, 2015

DLP Week 4

This week's DLP challenge was using Writing as a back ground and a journal prompt of 'Words with Friends'. Several ides drifted through my mind but none really stuck and then this song came into my mind and I decided that these words were all I needed.
I used my gelatos on a gessoed page for the background. They didn't blend quite as well as I would have wanted and I found writing on them really difficult.
For the white lines I used my white paint pen and then used sharpies to make the dots.
For the border I cut strips form a piece of paper.
I'll leave you to work out who my best friend is.

Week 3

This week's DLP challenge was right up my street with the prompt of 'colour wheel'.   I love colour.  I had a sheet of wrapping paper which was covered in brightly coloured jelly beans and immediately stuck it onto my page.  Trying to find somthing to put on it just didn't work so I covered it over with a piece of black material.  The bean pattern just showed through to give it some depth but not enough to detract from the black.
Using black ink I then stamped and embossed hearts onto brightly coloured paper.  Cut them out and made them into a flower.  An old fridge magnet sitting on my desk described just how colour makes me feel so it was stuck in the middle of the flower.
I then cut black borders and backed them with the same paper I had stamped the hearts onto.  For my wording I used acrylic paint on some grungeboard letters and then made dots around the edge using my white paint pen.



Thursday, January 15, 2015

DLP Week 2

Having decided to leave my first weeks journal page, this week I decided to finish it. It still needs a couple of photos adding for Saturday and Sunday but I am pleased with how the calendar page now fits in. The letters are some old foam ones covered in glossy accents.


Last weeks journal page was done on an old book page covered in gesso and then acrylic paint. At first it just didn't work because the text and pictures on the page were showing through too strongly. Trying disguise this I put splatters of an old pot of nail polish on and then dabbed on some alcohol ink. Still not pleased I decided to add photos of some new supplies which turned up during the week. At last I was happy.


For this weeks journal page I worked on an old piece of textured wall paper. I had already covered it with clear gesso and sprayed with dylusions through a stencil. I painted over with white gesso, added dribbles of acrylic ink and then stenciled over with red acrylic. The numbers were stamped on tissue paper and then stuck on.


Now for this weeks DLP challenge, gesso. Using an old book page I gessoed over it and then used distress stain. I stenciled some detail using glass bead gell (unfortunately it didn't show up on the photo). There is the texture of the stitching from last weeks journalling on the other side. I added acrylic ink dribbles, stenciling with gesso and some stamping. The three circles on the top left were made by sticking small bits of cotton onto card with clear gesso and then colouring with my neocolours and cutting out circles.


The tag lifts to show the three steps I am going to take for my beginning.

The tracing paper flap lifts up to reveal more journalling.





Sunday, January 4, 2015

DLP Week 1. Goals and Book Paper

I had already chosen my paper for this week, a piece of card with snowflakes on one side which I wanted to keep. So covering it all with book paper for the DLP challenge was not what I wanted.  Trying to think of my goals for this year was hard, I wanted them to be meaningful and so I started thinking about what I needed to do this year.  Recently I have been getting very frustrated at my lack of confidence, I know I am able but can never project that to others, so this was the goal I chose to journal.
My book papers came from a copy of Muddle Earth by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell.  I don't like using books that somebody might like, so tend to go round the charity shops asking for those books which they are going to send for recycling.  I couldn't believe my luck when they gave this one with amazing illustrations.
For my background I simply brushed a diluted PVA and acrylic paint mix over the snowflakes leaving it clear around the boy on the right.  While it was still wet I sprinkled on perfect pearls.   I painted around the boy with ink and then stenciled the rays on with silver acrylic and a sponge.
I edged with oil pastels in blue and black, coloured my letters and stuck on along with the wold faith which I had in my stash.



My journalling pages were made by stenciling the stars with pastels onto a background coloured with gelatos.  The days were stamped on directly and the dates stamped onto tissue and then stuck on.  The lines in-between where machine stitched onto a rescued headrest cover from a plane and then cut out and stuck on.