Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Last of Tanzania

So long as I haven't mislaid any photos these are the last of my pages on Tanzania.  In a way it is a final goodbye to our time there and the closing of a chapter.
Both pages though are also very English.  This first one tells of a weekend away in a hotel which was very much in the old colonial style.
I inked some white thickers letters using Tim Holtz stain and then coloured a strip around them using water colour pencil so that they stood out.  
Looking through my box of scraps I came across an old shopping bag and wrapping from a bunch of flowers.  Both of these had an old world feel to them and so I frayed and distressed the edges and used as free papers.
I also coloured some odd threads from the bag and tucked under my papers
and in the tear for my journalling tag.  I used un- inked threads on my large tag.
On both layouts I chose to cut the backing paper and slot paper or photos under it.  By allowing the background to flow over the paper/photo it held the layout together better.

The second layout celebrates a morning spent in a hotel near Lushoto.  Peter had gone on a walk from the hotel and I was forced to wait in the luxurious surroundings.  Coming from dry dusty Dodoma this was perfect.
I used the beautiful lines on the paper to frame the photo (slotting it under a cut out section) and for my journalling.
To add to my title I used a small tag tied onto the first letter.
 My ribbons and tags at the top of the page were stuck on but I then added zig zag stitching by hand and these tiny little buttons to ground them onto the page.
 My flower was inspired by an article in August's Scrap 365 magazine and the centre then filled with pearls and tiny seed beads stuck onto an acetate circle with clear craft glue.
 I stitched a small running stitch down the centre of a piece of lace and ribbon, gathered them up and added to the side of my photo.  As on the previous layout I stuck my layers of paper/doilies down in the centre only so that the edges lifted to give some depth.












No comments:

Post a Comment